Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Alice

I don't think anything is ever going to top Jan Švankmajer's unique version of Carroll's Alice and Tim Burton sadly hasn't really made a decent film since, well....um... Ed Wood? Yeah, Corpse Bride was quite good and I didn't mind Big Fish either, but it's been a while since his storytelling was on par with his visuals!

As most will attest Burton's movies for the most part are visually stunning: Sweeney Todd, Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow and even Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to name but a few (We do not bear talk about or even mention the "Ape" movie though!! God in heaven, what a colossal f#ck up that was!)

So yeah, his take on Alice and Wonderland again "looks" fantastic! I mean just take a gander at those images below:




But his obvious interest in the visual aesthetic will probably once again supersede everything else, leaving us with an eye-popping but overall "flat" experience.

More images here: canalblog and brought to my attention by thevaultofhorror

3 comments:

joe ackerman said...

I don't want to jump the gun, or anything, but, really, after the total hash the man made of Charlie & the Chocolate Factory, I'm not holding out much hope for this. Johnny Depp as the Mad Hatter? now, there's original for you! oh, and look: there's Tweedledee & Tweedledum! I could be wrong here, it HAS been the best part of thirty odd years since I last picked up my copy of Wonderland, after all, but I'm pretty darn sure that Tweedledee & Tweedledum are NOT in it. . .

nice pictures, though.

Lonely Lunch said...

oooh---I hope he doesn't mess it up either...I have always loved Alice...especially those little cakes she got to eat...

Colin Lorimer said...

Yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for this one.

I'll buy the art book if nothing else.