Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nostalgia Post

Well I have finally embraced facebook. I had avoided it for the longest time as, quite honestly, I couldn't find anything good about it...

I had a page set up some time back and completely abandoned it. Then my web guy(William) set me up a UXB page with the launch of the UXB site in 2010- that I also quickly forgot about-- that was until an old friend used it to drop me a line. So I accepted the request and it was nice to get back in touch, and since then, there has been quite a few nice surprises.

You see, I have traveled quite a bit over the years and lost contact with a lot of people-- I left my hometown of Carrickfergus in 1990 to go to art college in Dublin and ended up staying there for ten years; in effect, setting up a new base of friends and kinda losing contact with the old ones. Then,the option arrived in 2000 to travel to Vancouver and it's been the same thing yet again-- I've never been very good at staying in contact. So if we take it back to my hometown of Carrickfergus there are some faces that have been popping up that I haven't seen in over 20 years and I must say it is interesting to see how certain lives have panned out and somewhat sad also to find that a few have died along the way...

Anyway...

My 100th member of the blog(who I remember as being very turgid..)is one of those old mates I use to work with in a place called Irish Heritage(my first job out of school- painting awful,bland ceramic cottages and the like on an rather endless production line....)This is the guy who introduced me to some of the music that I am still listening to today. I remember him passing me the Wedding Present 'George Best' cassette and hearing it for the first time on my crappy walkman and just being completely blown away by it. There were numerous other bands that I probably would never have heard of if it hadn't been for him-- He was like my little own John Peel.

 So yeah, Facebook has it's uses after all! -I think I'll stick with it for a little while this time around and see how goes... Friend me here-- you lovely bastards!

8 comments:

joe ackerman said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
joe ackerman said...

above post removed due to what the author perceives as an overall air of snarkiness that could be misread as pertaining to the author of this here fine blog. which, of course, would be absurd.

" there's a reason why I haven't bothered keeping in touch for the last twenty/thirty odd years. . . "

that's what I meant to say.

Colin Lorimer said...

I know you meant "idiot c*nt" in a nice way Joe ;)

Yeah- that's true..and another reason why I avoided it for the longest time-
Thankfully a lot of the old N.Ireland crowd are the good ones...well apart from one Stranmillis teacher guy--he was a right ....

rich said...

twitter....is next for you.

Colin Lorimer said...

I failed on Twitter Rich - just can't get into it at all. I do see it's uses...

joe ackerman said...

all twitter did was prove to me once & for all that the miniature of my life isn't even interesting to me, let alone anyone with so little to occupy themselves that they have to wonder what passes for breakfast in the life of Joe or what colour pants I wear on a Wednesday. twenty minutes on twitter, and I was ringing around all me mates begging them to talk to me.

incidently, I don't wear pants on a Wednesday. there. see? now, you have no reason to have a twitter account. it's ok. you don't have to thank me. it's what mates are for.

Macarons Recipes said...

Love this

Macarons Recipes said...

Thanks greatt blog post